HPE OneView Review

Instead of having to go to each chassis for managing Virtual Connect, we have a centralized view.

What is most valuable?

The centralized management of the HPE Virtual Connect (VC) is the most valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

Just having a centralized view, instead of having to go to each chassis for managing Virtual Connect is very helpful; I got it all in one place.

What needs improvement?

It tends to detect flood conditions on a lot of the networks. I'll have blades that are suddenly offline because it detected a flood condition on that particular NIC. I've called support on that and they're like, "Yeah, we have detected a flood condition, it is a loop." However, I tell them, "We don't have a loop." So, you reset it and reboot the blade; the ESX comes back up and away you go. That has happened to me three or four times now. So, hopefully, we can figure out what's causing this at some point in time.

It has been stable, I haven't had any problems with it at all.

We have six HPE c7000 chassis, across two data centers and everything is good. We have a single OneView product in each location.

I have used technical support. It has been probably a year, but I have used them. They are excellent.

Previously, we were just managing the blades directly through the HPE Onboard Administrator (OA) and Virtual Connect (VC). We were building up brand new data centers, with brand new equipment and we had the choice of doing it the old way, or using OneView; we could just have two places to see it, i.e., one on each data center. So, we decided to combine it, this was a suggestion by one of the partners.

Stability and support are the most important criteria while looking for a vendor.

The setup was straightforward; it was pretty easy. It's a pretty simple setup; you just install your server. It's a virtual appliance and you throw it on there, start it up, add your chassis and away you go.

What other advice do I have?

If you are experienced with OA and Virtual Connect, that it's a completely different animal when you're in OneView; the interface isn't the same. Finally, you figure out how OneView works. It could be that you, maybe, have never used a chassis before and then, finally, you understand this Virtual Connect beast and how to set everything up. Then, you're like, "Let's get OneView!" and you switch to OneView. The theories behind it are the same, but the interface is different and the way you set it up is different. So, I will advise being aware of going in.

More HPE OneView reviews from users