HPE OneView Review

Limited benefit for us so far, but features in development hold some promise

How has it helped my organization?

We want it to improve our organization. We feel like we're in this cycle of transition of products, from SIM to OneView, and we can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel seems to stretch. It's quite long.

What is most valuable?

I hate to say, not a lot. It's encouraging to see a couple of features in version 4 that we think ought to have been there from the start. So, we can see the development path, but so far it's been limited in what we've gotten out of it.

What needs improvement?

Those features coming in version 4 that we're looking for are the discovery, primarily. But I think the scope-based access control is of interest, although, we didn't see any directory integration, so that, in itself, seems like it's still limited.

At the scale we're using it, which is not much, I don't think stability is something we could comment on, really. It's fine for what we've been using it for.

Depending on the ability to discover, we'll be able to answer the question of whether it will meet our needs going forward.

I think we've got the information we need. It's more of a product-set lack rather than support lack.

What other advice do I have?

When we're looking at vendors we look for the product itself and innovation. With respect to the HPE, that's what we look for, and dependability and standardization, rather than going too proprietary on things. Integration as well as strong partnerships with the likes of VMware. We are a VMware shop and, aside from the current issue, that close tie between the products is of great benefit to us.