Operations Bridge Review

Runs and manages different kinds of technologies, operating systems, and management packs.

What is most valuable?

Purely, its flexibility is the most valuable aspect. It is hugely configurable. We have a huge amount of different kinds of technologies, different kinds of operating systems and management packs that effectively are run and managed by Operations Bridge.

What needs improvement?

The latest versions of the service reporting dashboards need improvement, such as service modeling. A lot of our customers want to be able to understand and look at their solution end-to-end, including all the components, all the management elements of the operations, and the system's databases. I think that's the way the market is going anyway. People want to see an end-to-end service and they want to have that visualization of it as well.

We first started to install the components that make up Operations Bridge in 2005.

It is hugely stable. Actually, I would have to say that was one of the main reasons why we have kept it. We run it on what is probably an ancient platform now, but it is rock solid. Fingers crossed, it never fails.

We were an HPE Gold partner at the time of the initial setup. That's primarily why it was brought into the organization. It has shown itself to be worth its weight and not very much was paid for it. Our business has quadrupled in size since 2005 and we are a much larger organization than we once were. It has scaled and grown with the business.

It's supported pretty well. We've got some really good in-house guys who know their stuff. We haven’t raised a call about Operations Bridge for a good few years now. This is primarily because we install our own installations. We manage them, we develop them, and we understand how they work.

When choosing a vendor, I look at the solution. My directors look at cost.

The setup takes a lot of planning and preparation, like any upgrade. You just have to make sure you have a basic plan. I think it goes like the old adage, “If you fail to plan, then plan to fail.”