HPE ProCurve Review

They have one switch, with interval redundancy, power supplies, etc. that can be used as a core element within a network for providing flexible ports.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is that you have a very flexible product. You can mix the ports and set up based on your network needs.

It can even compensate for fractions of fans or power supplies, which can easily be exchanged, for example.

Improvements to My Organization

The main benefit there is that they have one switch, with interval redundancy, power supplies, etc. that can be used as a core element within a network for providing flexible ports.

Room for Improvement

It is not really extendable. You have no interlink features for using it as a core, as it was was intended for in the beginning.

Use of Solution

We've been using it since 2005 when it was the 5300 series.

We've had no issues with stability.

It's scalable as long as you have three spots. If not, it's air-card solutions. In the meantime, there are other popular solutions in the portfolio that are more scalable.

We had no support contract in that area so I cannot weigh in on that point. But all the other services, warranties, exchanges, etc. all worked well.

We switched because it was the most flexible one on the market from a port-modular perspective. It was the only one at that time where you had redundant components in one chassis.

You can set up without fail if you're experienced with such systems.

Other Advice

If there is a use case where this kind of switch is useful, I would say, yeah, go for it, use it. But with support contracts, and they are a good backbone, because these days, you need another layer of switching up in the higher level.