HPE ProCurve Review

Valuable Features

It gives us the single-point visibility across the whole infrastructure that's quite important to us. The centralized management console allows us to integrate the output data from these switches into a centralized log management system. With it, we're able to understand configuration management and risk across a single architecture.

Improvements to My Organization

With a single point of visibility for the identification of risk, we don't have to stand up different infrastructures to manage a configuration across the estate. The benefits are very agnostic, but for us it's all about having the appropriate product in place to allow us to do that centralized formation rather than having to get different systems doing different things.

Room for Improvement

We'd like for it to provide logical separation at the switch, building security into the product. I've seen that their new technology does this, and that's what we're most interested in. Integration of NAC and other features of that nature to embed into the actual network would provide as a great return on investment. Again, it would give us that single-point visibility, single-configuration space that important for us.

We don't have any issues with deployment.

It's been fine from a stability standpoint, though we had some early teething issues, but that, I think, came down to our configuration. Beyond that, the architecture has always been fairly stable. Our inter-site linking could be better, which affects quality of service, but the actual ProCurve itself just keeps going.

We're looking to completely replace our environment with a newer version. We've added to our existing infrastructure but expanding it out physically. We're now looking at scaling it up and merging our infrastructure with other organizations. It's proving, currently, to be capable of doing that.

I haven't used technical support directly, but I haven't heard of any issues with it.

We had Alcatel, and then we brought in HP about 10 years ago. We just wanted, as I recall, a program refresh. We were just looking at what was the best fit for our organization, what was scalable, and what was cost effective. I believe that at the time Cisco was cost prohibitive. We went for the more affordable and balanced, scalable solutions, which we found with HP.

Other Solutions Considered

We're currently looking at HP and Cisco, and we'll be pushing a tender out for others to come on board as well, so it might not just be Cisco and HP. Certainly we're in the process of reviewing those two vendors.