HPE ProCurve Review

Stable, easy to set up, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

We are in the healthcare industry. Most of our switches are modular because we need a lot of ports in one location.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is reliability.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

I would like to see some kind of packet tracer where people can study how the switch is operating.

White box switching support is something that I would like to see in the future.

I have been working with HPE ProCurve for at least 17 years.

This is a very reliable solution. In the 17 years that I have been using this product, I have had two power supply failures. However, these did not result in downtime because each switch has at least two power supplies. I was never left without the switch working due to a hardware failure.

We have more than 1,000 users in total but on a daily basis, there are 600 to 700 users in two locations.

The technical support from HP is very good. The last time I had a question, not a repair, but just a question of any kind was perhaps 10 years ago. I normally have a good recovery plan in advance of making any changes, which means that I don't have to bother the HP help desk with frivolous questions.

Prior to this solution, I was working with Cisco switches, which we still have a lot of. We have physical network layers and for some purposes, the Cisco switches are very good. My preference, however, is ProCurve.

I have experience with switches from Dell. They lack some features but they are much cheaper than HPE.

I find the initial setup to be easy and straightforward.

I perform the implementation, deployment, and maintenance. If I need to clear up the fiber channel, a transceiver, or something else, then I do it myself. If we need to connect and patch one of the switches then I just configure a port, send an email, and the local staff can do the patching.

This is an expensive switch.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to plan well. Most of the reason for error is poor planning. Be sure to ask your vendor questions because there are no dumb questions. Rather, silly mistakes happen when people implement without a full understanding.

This is a good product but there is always room for improvement in these kinds of devices.

5400 V3
More HPE ProCurve reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Catalyst Switches
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Cisco and others in LAN Switching. Updated: September 2021.
535,015 professionals have used our research since 2012.