HPE ProLiant DL Servers Review

We understand what we're going to get in terms of the cost.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is consistency to the cost. We understand what we're going to get, and we also understand the price-point that we're entering into.

What needs improvement?

Some of the features I'm already seeing over there, i.e., really moving more towards a software layer that helps us to manage the infrastructure that we're purchasing from HPE. To use a competitor's term, as to what Nutanix is doing, HPE should be moving in a similar direction, which they are now, both in regards to a free product and a paid product; I'm actually very happy about that.

We've been using the HPE Proliant DL380s for seven years or more, and the DL580s only during the last year.

The product has been consistently stable. We have had no issues.

Scalability with the hardware alone requires a bit more than just hardware, but we are using it in a scalable architecture. If you look at what we do with our EBS system, we use the DL580s with Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) to allow it to scale.

The technical support is very good. We recently just had to use it and the items were resolved in a timely manner, so I've been happy with the support.

With some of the new software changes, the setup is getting easier and more consistent for us to apply across the globe; it's improving for sure.

The most important criteria while selecting a vendor are the costs and then, the other long-term factors such as reliability and quality.

We do actually evaluate solutions every year. We still buy other servers but not as many as we buy from HPE. Still, we do buy some stuff from Dell, just because we're in three regions of the world, but most of our stuff goes through HPE.

What other advice do I have?

We're a bit of an HPE shop. We've used Dell in other places, too, but generally, in terms of the price-point and quality of service it has always led us to HPE, so these are the main driving points for us.

For companies like us, we want more than a server. When we buy servers then we want some level of software orchestration on top of it to help us deploy OS or hypervisor plus some form of high-level capacity/environment review. This is sort of happening with Generation nine and ten hardware but not as refined as what you get with Nutanix.

DL380/580
More HPE ProLiant DL Servers reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about HPE ProLiant DL Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.