Micro Focus Service Anywhere [EOL] Review
Easy implementation and good customer experience. Fast time to value.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to implement and there is great customer experience. When I say "easy to implement", I mean it’s very quick. In terms of time to value, we're talking about a month to do an implementation for the customer.

In our terms, we talk of ITIL Version 3 compliance. This is a tool that, if you implement it, you will be compliant. It's one-stop shopping. It's really, really quick. It's got big data which is a big thing around here, so there is a lot of intelligence brought into the tool. It's got things like smart analytics, which I think for users in South Africa especially, that you know there's quite a low maturity in terms of its ITIL compliance. It helps customers really quickly get on top of the operation, what's going on inside the IT organization. It allows them to respond quicker. We use it as well as sell it.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a central place where customers as well as employees can put requests into our support organization, service requests, and support requests. They can use their mobile phones to log requests and to see the status of their requests. There's a very easy to configure self-service portal, so which is a self-service page that our customers as well as our employees reach out to. The internal customer can access services very easily, or request services very easily.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better release management. In other words, when you get to that point when you want to put it into production, I would like to see more automated processes around that. I mean it's quite good, make no mistake, but I think they can do more work in that space, in terms of automating the release management process. There's some manual work that you need to do which is time-consuming. It's got a good mobile app, but I think that they can do some more work on it. There are some other things they can do to tweak the platform. I have spoken to them about it

It's a very stable platform. This is a cloud solution, and cloud is not utilized with implemented competitor solutions. What I like about this is that it provides the customer with direction. It's not an open platform that you can do anything with. You can only go for a specific purpose. A lot of the competitor’s solutions that we work with allow customers to do whatever they want which is a problem. That kind of solution induces instability.

It's a cloud solution so it can scale.

Technical support is okay. They have a large customer base so the technical support is not quite the same as the on-premises solution. On-premises is a lot more established. The cloud-based solution which HPE offers has a long way to go.

I was using a competitive solution, ServiceNow, but it was too expensive. The price was good for this solution and there was good structuring around the license model. We had very little time to implement, and we didn't have any training. We needed something that could accommodate that, and this solution was perfect for all of that.

I was involved in the installation and it was very straightforward.

We looked at some open source stuff and Cherwell. We had an HPE partner as well and it's really important for us to use what we sell. So that we can speak from a place of experience and drink our own champagne, so to speak.

What other advice do I have?

If ITIL adoption is important, then this would be the product. It is cloud based, quick, cost-effective, and easy to implement.