HPE SimpliVity Review

Removes all the complicated tasks of backup storage management.

Valuable Features

• Integrated backup and DR features
  • De-duplication and compression
  • Management using the vSphere client
  • Total ease of management

Improvements to My Organization

Backups - policies are built in and managed using the SimpliVity extension in vSphere. It makes working with backups and recovery extremely simple and removes all the complicated tasks of backup storage management. The ability to place backups at any datacenter within the vSphere environment is nice too. These are full backups too, not just snapshots.

Room for Improvement

Reporting - improvements have been made, but I would like to see some enhancements for recalling historical information: automated reports on storage efficiency over time and backup growth over time.

Use of Solution

I have used it since January 2015.

I have not encountered any stability issues. We were able to migrate all of our legacy environment of physical servers and data over to SimpliVity with no issues. Performance was improved and storage efficiency with the deduplication really works. When we had an Accelerator card fail in one host (the card manages the deduplication tasks for the host), we got an alert the card had failed but never had a service interruption. The card on the other host takes over for the failed card until it is replaced. Very resilient.

I have not encountered any scalability issues. We initially started out with a 2+1 configuration and then scaled up to a 3+2 with no issues.

Technical support is the best. Their first-line guys know the product and can solve issues. I have always had any issue or support request resolved in a timely manner and by the same guy who was assigned the ticket.

Initial setup was very easy. I actually set up the “Federation” myself one Saturday morning with no help from support. I just followed the instructions for the rack and stack, powered up assigned IP addresses to the networks it required and the embedded wizard did the rest.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The nice thing about SimpliVity is that ALL the features are included in the base price. You don’t have to try to pick and choose and fight the pricing game.

Other Solutions Considered

We looked at other solutions before purchasing SimpliVity (Nutanix), but SimpliVity was a better fit for our requirements and had what I judged as features Nutanix could not compete with.

Other Advice

Do your homework and compare them to the competition apples for apples so that you see the value the product has from features, ease of use and pricing.

I have spoken to other customers at SimpliVity road show events and serve as a customer reference for them when asked. I really believe in the product that much.