HPE SimpliVity Review

Metadata caching and the acceleration card support the efficiency of using less SSD and less HDD access.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is inline deduplication. Inline dedup allows us to support more VMs per host, because less IO goes to disk if you use the same OS on the server side. Deduplication at SimpliVity means that metadata caching and the acceleration card support the efficiency of using less SSD and less HDD access. Only unwritten blocks flow through the system; double blocks coming out of cache. This also helps to reduce latency of the whole system, because the acknowledge to requests of servers are supported faster and out of cache instead from disk.

You can manage at this point more and different workloads, but at least not all. So, the newer systems with full flash supports these requirements better than the hybrid systems.

How has it helped my organization?

It has less latency (from 6ms to about 1ms).

What needs improvement?

Other customers want to see Windows Hyper-V Server 2016 support and also open-source VI. In our case, this is not necessary, but could help in the future to get more market share.

I have used it for one year.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues in my environment and situation.

Technical support is perfect for me.

We previously used a different solution and we switched because of total cost (ROI) and efficiency.

Initial setup is easy and can be done by any technician with a basic understanding of VMware.

Calculate all savings and build an ROI. (Have a look at www.holistic3.com.)

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options because it is clear that SimpliVity provides the best ROI out of all the candidates.

What other advice do I have?

Take care with 10gbE networking. To save a lot of space and power with this solution, use VMware as the primary hypervisor.

CN-2400
More HPE SimpliVity reviews from users
...who compared it with Nutanix Acropolis AOS
Learn what your peers think about HPE SimpliVity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.