HPE SimpliVity Review

Helpful technical support, good virtualization, and helps save on management costs

What is our primary use case?

I am primarily using the product in order to create our open banking solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Although it is still early, we are optimistic that it will decrease our management costs and many resource costs due to the fact that everything is included in one box in SimpliVity. That includes the storage network, CPU, memory, et cetera. If everything is in one box, it will likely reduce our managed services cost.

What is most valuable?

We really enjoy the virtualization that the solution offers. It's an aspect of the product we use a lot.

Technical support is quite helpful and responsive.

It looks like the solution will help us decrease management costs. It seems to be providing us with good value.

What needs improvement?

The product is expensive. We are in Turkey and the Turkish Lira currency is higher than in other countries. $1 is about 9 Turkish Lira now. If you buy something in US dollars, and if you calculate it in our currency, that means we need to multiply the total by nine. It's costly.

The initial configuration is complicated. HPE had to help us.

HPE is complex.

HPE SimpliVity uses some additional memory inside in order to do site infrastructure work. However, you need to calculate this. You need to make sure you have enough memory and CPU for your purposes now and in the future. However, they don't explain that you might lose, for example, 10% of memory during configuration. Knowing that might affect what you actually need in the long run. They really have to lay out for their customers at the outset what is used and how much space is taken up, et cetera. That way, you can calculate that into your capacity.

I've only really been using the solution for less than a month. It hasn't been too long just yet.

We haven't yet had a chance to do any benchmark tests on the product. We still have to go through this process. Therefore, it's difficult to gauge stability at this time.

We recently started using the product, and therefore not everyone was on the solution. We're at about 60% uptake now.

While we may expand in the future, we have not yet tried to scale the solution. It may be something we consider down the line.

We've been in touch with technical support, especially at the outset. We found them to be very helpful and responsive overall. We have been quite satisfied with the level of service they have provided to us. They are quite knowledgeable.

We previously used Intel services and products previously. We decided to switch, and, due to Turkish regulations, we couldn't use a public cloud product. That's why we chose HPE.

The initial setup can be pretty complex, especially in relation to the configuration. It was different from what we used and managed before. As it was a new system and a new way of doing things, we needed help.

We had to get HPE to help us with the initial configuration. We couldn't handle it ourselves.

The pricing is expensive, and even more so due to the fact that we have an unfavorable exchange rate between the Turkish Lira and the American dollar.

I have not seen any other costs over and above the licensing fee itself.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with HPE.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

More HPE SimpliVity reviews from users
...who compared it with Nutanix Acropolis AOS
Learn what your peers think about HPE SimpliVity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.