HPE SimpliVity Review

The rapid backup and restore functionality improved our efficiency in the development area.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We no have the ability to restore a production environment to multiple development environments with a few clicks in a very short time. With 6 development teams working on different modules on the same system, this helps a lot in their agile approach.

What needs improvement?

One thing that might be a deal killer is the additional VM Ware licenses. It is important to keep this in mind, especially when moving over from free hypervisor like Hyper-V.

This would be applicable if users migrate from a free Hypervisor like Hyper-V. With Simplivity not yet supporting these, one has to procure the VMWare licenses. As this cost is in US$, it can become very pricey, especially for clients in South Africa!

So again, it is just something people need to be aware of if they are not already using VMWare.

18 months.

None.

The only issue we once had (it took us and then engineers a while to figure out) was a heating/airflow problem. This was self inflicted after upgrading the cooling system.

None. We started with two, got another one, and then another three. Deployment and expansion was a breeze.

Excellent. Local sales team always available and involved.

Also excellent. Always helpful and available during upgrades or maintenance windows.

Had a traditional Server/SAN setup. Upgrading that turned out to be more expensive than moving over to the new solution.

Lots of work, but straightforward. We basically rebuild all our VM's (from Hyper-V to VMWare).

We made use of the local team. Very skilled!

One must make sure that you understand all the functionality that comes with the solution, and then try to establish the cost of not having these in place!

Yes. Looked at expanding the old solution, and also looked at Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

Apart from being a great product supported by a very skilled and friendly team, it is very sexy, and will give you lots of bragging rights!

More HPE SimpliVity reviews from users
...who compared it with Nutanix Acropolis AOS
Learn what your peers think about HPE SimpliVity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.