Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE SimpliVity Review
It can present itself as NFS SAN to existing compute.

844

Valuable Features:

• Backups
  • Recovery
  • VMware VirtualCenter integration
  • DR
  • Being able to present the solution as NFS SAN to existing compute

Improvements to My Organization:

Backups are all automatic and admins do not have to worry if the production VMs are being backed up. Easy backup policy with no LUN administration is also one less task to worry about. DR and DR replication are no longer an issue; no longer have to seed a SAN locally and ship it out to the DR site.

Room for Improvement:

I like how VMware vSAN has their ready node pre-configured for certain workload and application types.

The many models and EOL on certain areas on their site are a bit confusing. Allow customers to try and deploy the units themselves and have support follow up later to validate the deployments.

Invest more on sales and marketing as they have a great product.

Using the cheap 7200 RPM disks on certain models just drags the product down when first impression counts the most.

Make sure the customer fully understands the CPU and memory overhead of each hosts.

Use of Solution:

I have used it for six months in production with tier 1 servers.

Deployment Issues:

We encountered deployment issues, as it is was not as smooth as I planned, but things was corrected.

Stability Issues:

We encountered stability issues, we had the wrong model for our environment. Once we got the correct model, everything was very stable.

Scalability Issues:

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is 9/10.

Technical support is 9/10.

Previous Solutions:

I previously used DataCore SANSymphony, Nimble and from my last company, it was vSAN 6.0 and 3PAR SAN. Our Datacore SAN that we migrated off of lacks a lot of features and was built on very cheap hardware.

SimpliVity meets all of our requirements and also address other future requirements that were not in the scope of the primary storage project.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup was complex, as they would not let the customer try to deploy the configurations of the units.

Implementation Team:

Implementation was mostly in-house, but leverage SimpliVity support for remote deployment and configurations.

ROI:

• Overall hardware cost savings compared to traditional fiber SAN.
  • Reduce SME of SAN admins.
  • Reduce SME of backup admins.
  • Reduce third-party backup.
  • Reduce datacenter footprint and complexity.
  • DR software was an added bonus.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Look at the bigger picture on your requirements as this solution can address the complete stack for most company's needs. Licensing is simple but be aware that the OmniView feature and RapidDR software is not free. You should use VMware enterprise plus licenses but can get away with standard edition licenses.

Other Solutions Considered:

• EMC VCE and vxRail
  • Tintri

Other Advice:

3 visitors found this review helpful
8ba76aba e3cc 4769 8ed9 428e7871bcfb avatarAnonymous avatar x30Anonymous avatar x30

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About HPE SimpliVity?

Our experts can help. 229,168 professionals have used our research on 5,847 solutions.