HPE SimpliVity Review
It can present itself as NFS SAN to existing compute.

What is most valuable?

• Backups
  • Recovery
  • VMware VirtualCenter integration
  • DR
  • Being able to present the solution as NFS SAN to existing compute

How has it helped my organization?

Backups are all automatic and admins do not have to worry if the production VMs are being backed up. Easy backup policy with no LUN administration is also one less task to worry about. DR and DR replication are no longer an issue; no longer have to seed a SAN locally and ship it out to the DR site.

What needs improvement?

I like how VMware vSAN has their ready node pre-configured for certain workload and application types.

The many models and EOL on certain areas on their site are a bit confusing. Allow customers to try and deploy the units themselves and have support follow up later to validate the deployments.

Invest more on sales and marketing as they have a great product.

Using the cheap 7200 RPM disks on certain models just drags the product down when first impression counts the most.

Make sure the customer fully understands the CPU and memory overhead of each hosts.

I have used it for six months in production with tier 1 servers.

We encountered deployment issues, as it is was not as smooth as I planned, but things was corrected.

We encountered stability issues, we had the wrong model for our environment. Once we got the correct model, everything was very stable.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is 9/10.

Technical support is 9/10.

I previously used DataCore SANSymphony, Nimble and from my last company, it was vSAN 6.0 and 3PAR SAN. Our Datacore SAN that we migrated off of lacks a lot of features and was built on very cheap hardware.

SimpliVity meets all of our requirements and also address other future requirements that were not in the scope of the primary storage project.

Initial setup was complex, as they would not let the customer try to deploy the configurations of the units.

Implementation was mostly in-house, but leverage SimpliVity support for remote deployment and configurations.

• Overall hardware cost savings compared to traditional fiber SAN.
  • Reduce SME of SAN admins.
  • Reduce SME of backup admins.
  • Reduce third-party backup.
  • Reduce datacenter footprint and complexity.
  • DR software was an added bonus.

Look at the bigger picture on your requirements as this solution can address the complete stack for most company's needs. Licensing is simple but be aware that the OmniView feature and RapidDR software is not free. You should use VMware enterprise plus licenses but can get away with standard edition licenses.

• Pivot3
  • Pure Storage
  • Compellent
  • EMC VCE and vxRail
  • Tintri

What other advice do I have?

4 visitors found this review helpful