HPE SimpliVity Review

No additional training is necessary for support personnel and engineers. The federation is managed via a plugin in the VMware vSphere client or webclient.

What is most valuable?

Backup and DR applications are very good and easy to use.

Due to inline deduplication, optimization and compression of data, very high IO throughput is possible.

No additional training is necessary for support personnel and engineers, as the SimpliVity federation is managed via a plugin in the VMware vSphere client or webclient.

How has it helped my organization?

Our company acts as a SimpliVity implementation partner. We also do platform maintenance/management for customers who do not want to do it themselves. We only get positive feedback from customers as to performance, RTO/RPO times, and day-to-day management.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see more possibilities to monitor the SimpliVity platform. Also, storage balancing between nodes within clusters with more than two nodes could be better. I believe this is solved in the new release of the software, but we still have to test it.

We have used SimpliVity for about three years now and have done several small and midsize implementations on OmniCube and OmniStack server systems.

Overall stability is great, except for some incidental hardware failures with DIMMs and remote access cards. The SimpliVity software and hardware acceleration card has never let us down. As long you use the BOM (bill of material), you are good to go.

The product is very scalable, if you can work with the building blocks. If you need more computing power, you can add computing nodes, which can be any x86 server. If you need more storage, you need to add a SimpliVity OmniCube or OmniStack node.

The technical support is very good, probably the best we have encountered until now.

In the past, we deployed the more traditional systems, such as a hypervisor with shared storage. We see the advantages of hyperconverged solutions and were impressed by the SimpliVity product, so we have shifted our main focus to hyperconverged solutions; in particular, SimpliVity.

The initial setup demands you to think through the IP addressing plan. Once you have that in place, initial deployment and configuration is very simple.

I don't have any pricing and licensing at hand, so no advice here. Please consult a SimpliVity Partner for that.

We did look into Nutanix and also did a few implementations. We found that if you want the same level of performance and protection for your data, you will need to invest in many more Nutanix nodes. Nutanix has much more overhead, is less efficient in the use of storage capacity, and requires much more platform to get VMs running.

ROBO implementations are much easier and efficient to do with SimpliVity.

What other advice do I have?

Carefully look into your workload and discuss this with a SimpliVity Partner or Solution Architect.

We know that a small set of workloads are not suitable to run OK on the SimpliVity platform. Large database servers could be a problem running on the platform.

It’s a great product for most workloads. It may be less useful with very large database server VMs.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Simplivity Implementation Partner.
1 visitor found this review helpful