HPE SimpliVity Review
Provides inline compression, leverages our existing compute, and does backup in DR.

What is most valuable?

It's a game changer. They have the inline compression, which is really good. It can present itself as the NAS, so it can leverage our existing compute and then the backup. The backup in DR has been a lifesaver. It makes jobs so much easier. It makes my job a lot easier.

How has it helped my organization?

Overall benefits include reducing the cost of administration. We have a small head count of IT. This simplifies the job duties and we don't have to worry about performance or backup issues.

What needs improvement?

I'd love to see more of their cloud analytics. I guess big data kind of stuff, where we could practically monitor some of the stuff. And some of the integrated software they have with the DR.

The stability has been very good, very solid. I used to check on the SAN or the VM on a daily basis, and now I don't. I can work on other projects and worry about other stuff. Their DR is just super simple.

It scales very easy. Like I told you, I have coverage. You just rack and stack, and it just scales.

I would rate technical support as excellent. They are one of the best.

The setup was pretty straightforward. If you can get that design requirement down and you design it right, then you can basically hand it over to their deployment support. It's pretty easy.

We definitely evaluated others, including VMware, vSAN, Nutanix, and Pivot3 lead hyper-converged, along with SimpliVity.

Then we evaluated the traditional Dell, EMC, and then a couple more of the players. I basically looked at all of the Gartner top vendors out there and we started filtering down based on requirements and budget.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, I look for customer references if they claim to do something. I definitely had to research. I did a lot of reference checks.

the number of customers they have is important, their reference, and where they are at in the industry. It's a very innovative game changer. Go after your requirements, your budget, and your stakeholders.

SimpliVity is probably the way to go if you want to stay nimble, innovative, have a smaller IT team, or if you want to have everything centralized with one login.

I would like to see what Nimble has done with their InfoSite cloud monitoring, and analytics integrate into with Simplivity since they are now HPE. Nimble Storage has a simple licensing model which includes everything with the purchase, and that is a great trend that most new vendors are heading to.