HPE SimpliVity Review

Operational efficiency is definitely one of the biggest benefits.

How has it helped my organization?

Operational efficiency is definitely one of the biggest benefits. A lot of times, when you write a TCO and ROI, one of the biggest things is administration. So they could get rid of all those man hours worrying about babysitting their SAN and their servers, and the network, etc. Take those hours and put them back into real value for the business working on issues with the applications; not the SAN and the infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

It's ease of use and it's simplicity within the infrastructure. For a lot of our customers hyper-converge is not a one size fits all. But for a lot of workloads and for a lot of applications it does work very well and it's an extremely simple solution; very viable.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a single PROC option for things like Robo beause we have a lot of customers that just don't need dual CPU's in some of these locations. That's what drives up the cost a lot of the time. I would also like to see smaller core counts, as well. A lot of the core counts are just unbelievable. They are way under utilized over way too many cores.

Stability is good. It's rock solid. If you size them properly, you shouldn't really ever run into issues. We have only run into one workload so far out of all of our customers that doesn't fit correctly with the solution. It was essentially a batch process job that just would require a completely separate SAN and server environment.

Scalability so far has been pretty good. We haven't really had customers that have had a scale beyond an extreme amount of nodes; eight, nine, ten nodes. It's been rock solid.

We haven’t used technical support because we still go through SimpliVity for support even though HPE bought the company. It is still a separate support structure. They could work on support a little bit, but that's just HPE going through the growing pains.

We did not have a previous solution. As far as hyper converge goes, that was the first one we started selling. We've sold vSAN, as well, and the same with Nutanix. But SimpliVity is kind of the horse for picking a ride now.

I want stability when picking a vendor. Look at a company like Simplivity. They were a great company, but poorly managed as far as money goes and luckily HPE was able to swoop them up and that’s better than a lot of the other companies that could have bought them.

Setup is pretty straightforward. Everyone tries to say how simple their solutions are to set. Everything is plug-and-play and while they are, there are still little things that you need to know and understand, especially when it comes to the network. It's very easy solution. As a sales guy, I've installed them.

As a reseller, we like to give our customers a lot of options and we're not gonna sit here and say we only sell one product cause that would never be the way to do it. But HPE is a very strong company to partner with as far as total portfolio and solutions set goes.

What other advice do I have?

Do it. Try it. PLC it.