HPE SimpliVity Review

It includes backup, deduplication, and WAN optimization and can do disaster recovery with very minimal effort

How has it helped my organization?

We went from having our core data spread across tapes that would have come down to days of downtime to working with SimpliVity, where we can lose an entire datacenter and still be fully operational within minutes.

I can also now have my IT generalist do daily tasks easily as it is very easy to use.

What is most valuable?

• Inherent data protection
  • Backup
  • Disaster Recovery (DR) with very minimal effort.

What needs improvement?

The upgrade path used to be a challenge, but it has gotten much much easier.

Not being able to apply ESXi patches as needed has always been a concern, but it has not become a big issue.

No, not at all.

No, but we sized correctly in the beginning and have not needed to since.

Excellent.

Excellent.

First hyper-converged solution that I have ever used.

It is very straightforward to migrate existing VMs into the SimpliVity environment. Just VMotion the servers across and realize the benefits immediately.

It was implemented in-house.

Not sure.

But in comparison to other solutions, SimpliVity gave us all we need bundled into one at a much cheaper price point.

Try to do a true comparison.

SimpliVity includes backup, deduplication, and WAN optimization, so it is only fair to compare that with solutions having the same (or added in) features.

ESXi licensing is a big part of initial investment if you do not already have that covered.

Nutanix and traditional SAN solutions (NetApp and Compellent).

What other advice do I have?

It truly is as good as it seems, which three and a half years ago was a bit of a leap of faith. We are very happy that we made the leap.