HPE StoreOnce Review

An expensive product that is slow, needs improvement to the interface, should have cloud storage capability, and the support is terrible

What is our primary use case?

HPE StoreOnce was being used as our backup and recovery solution. The software we were using was HP NetBackup, which is Symantec NetBackup.

The IT infrastructure we back up consists of close to 20 servers includes database servers, a web email server, and a REST application. This is a tape backup solution.

What needs improvement?

We didn't like anything about this product. For example:

• It is not easy to restore data on the fly.¬†The backup and restore processes are very complex.
  • Backing up data is slow, as it is a tape backup system
  • The web interface, ease of use, and GUI all need to be improved.
  • It needs better integration with other products, such as the ability to store backups in the cloud or in Microsoft Azure.
  • They lack¬†reporting functionality. All of the reports are just CSV files and you have to compile your own reports. When you look at other backup solutions, they have reporting and alerting built-in. You can also create customized reports with them, but not with StoreOnce.

We were using HPE StoreOnce for almost three years.

The stability is not very good. It is not software-driven, but hardware-driven.

If you have a large enough storage capacity then you can take an ample amount of data. That's about it, in terms of scalability.

There are five or six people in the IT team who were using it.

The support from HPE is terrible.

Prior to using this product, we were using Microsoft Backup, as it is built into the operating system.

A reseller was used to assist with the deployment.

When it comes to deployment, maintenance, and support, it used to cost at least 20% of the price of the hardware. That is simply not feasible.

The cost of HPE StoreOnce is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Of my friends, colleagues, and peers, I don't know anybody who is still using HPE StoreOnce. They are typically using software-driven backup solutions like Acronis. I would not recommend this product to anybody.

I would rate this solution a three out of ten.

More HPE StoreOnce reviews from users
...who compared it with Dell EMC Data Domain Boost
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Veritas and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.