HPE StoreOnce Review

Very reliable, good deduplication and compression ratio, and supports the HPE Catalyst protocol

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our virtual workload back up. We are also a service provider, and we provide backup assistance to clients. We use StoreOnce for that backup too.

What is most valuable?

Deduplication and compression are in a good ratio. It supports the HPE Catalyst protocol, which is much faster than NFS and other protocols. We use CommVault and Veeam, and these two solutions support the Catalyst protocol very well and are integrated at high speed. It is faster than normal access.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to upgrading, it always goes block-wise. One block is 48 TB raw capacity. It would be good if they can include a smaller capacity for SMB customers. Currently, it is not possible to increase in a smaller capacity. You have to buy the exact same unit. It would be great if they can provide a smaller next block.

There are around 20 hard disks, and it would be really helpful if we can add 10 hard disks initially and 10 hard disks later.

I have been using this solution for a month. We bought it very recently.

It is a very reliable solution.

You can't increase the hard disk size. We bought two units. We have one unit connected to another unit. We have got ample capacity so far, and there is no need to increase it.

Currently, we have around 15 users. We have bought it for the backup of our customers. When it comes to customers, there are hundreds of customers.

They have been very responsive.

It was very straightforward. We knew the requirements, so we segmented it as required.

We have got a perpetual license, and we have access to all the features.

If you are using cloud banks, you can store the internal data in HPE Cloud if needed. You can offload the data to the HPE Cloud. It is a licensed product. We have got around 10 TB of cloud bank storage with a one-time payment. We specifically took 10 TB for very critical offsite backups. We can also increase it in blocks if needed.

We evaluated EMC Data Domain. We decided to go with StoreOnce because it was more cost-effective and suitable for our budget. Its interface was also easy to use.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. For higher data capacity, we can have around 90 terabytes, and roughly, we can take 75 terabytes of effective capacity. It can do deduplication. As per the papers, it will do 20:1, which may not be realistic, but we have seen 8:1 kind of deduplication. Even if it was 2:1, it will be 140. So, deduplication gives a massive capacity.

I would rate HPE StoreOnce a nine out of ten. It has been very good so far.

More HPE StoreOnce reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Veritas and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: September 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.