HPE StoreOnce Review

We like the ability to control where the dedupe takes place and the replication between data centers and smaller credit centers.

What is most valuable?

The ability to control where the dedupe takes place. StoreOnce allows deduplication in three locations; the client, the backup appliance and designated media servers. This flexibility can come in handy especially in smaller shops/data centers. For example, if network bandwidth is the issue you can dedupe at the client, and that reduces the total amount of data that has to be sent over the wire, or if a backup client doesn’t have the horsepower to dedicate CPU and memory to the dedupe process, you can do it at a designated media server (90% of our backups happen that way). Thirdly, at some of our smaller data clusters, our clients needs all their CPU and memory for running apps, and we don’t have a dedicated media server so we let the StoreOnce appliance do the deduplication.

Also, the ease of replicating between the three types of StoreOnce devices.

How has it helped my organization?

Since we went from disk to tape to D2D that’s a huge improvement. We now have faster more reliable backups, easy replication between data centers and smaller credit centers.

What needs improvement?

• Capacity of the B6200 as the capacity has improved/tripled in the 6500
  • It would be nice if it dedupelicated per service set instead of by the store

I've used it for two years including testing, and in production for 16 months.

The B6200 was designed to ingest data from different networks and we had three. Some we had to do some additional VLAN tagging.

We’ve experienced data lost. We’ve had three stores go off-line (which were recoverable) and had a disk become corrupt at the service set/couplet level. The corrupt service set had to be formatted and we lost 40TB of data. Luckily most of it was replicated from another data center.

9/10.

8/10.

We didn't have a previous solution.

It was very complex because our setup included six data centers with three types of StoreOnce devices. Replication between multiple sites, and Oracle, Lotus Notes, VMware, SQL, and Exchange online integrations.

We used a vendor team who were 5/10. HP sent their design team, and they were helpful but the StoreOnce product was very new and they were learning the product. We were given bad information which led to a crash.

We also looked at Data Domain, and another whose name I can't remember.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t get the B6200 get the 6500 even if you have to start small in terms of storage. You can add on as you need it.

More HPE StoreOnce reviews from users