HPE StoreOnce Review
We previously used Symantec Backup-Exec to LTO-4 tape. We needed a more scalable solution that was faster and allowed replication off-site nightly at a much quicker rate.

Valuable Features

It's fast and reliable when compared to tape solutions.

Improvements to My Organization

Over 51TB of data is backed up and replicated off-site every week quickly and reliably, compared to the laborious tape archiving solution we had in the past.

Room for Improvement

The web-GUI is not intuitive enough for basic users and offers fairly limited functionality compared to a backup solution such as Veeam or Backup-Exec.

Use of Solution

I've used it for 15 months.

No issues encountered.

Rarely have issues with stability.

No issues when you need to scale up. It's as simple as 'chucking more disks' into the array when the space needs expanding.

Good from HP, as usual (on a contract).

Good from HP, as usual (on a contract).

We previously used Symantec Backup-Exec to LTO-4 tape. We switched because we needed a more scalable solution that was faster and allowed replication off-site nightly at a much quicker rate.

Simple, it was handled by HP.

Implementation Team

We had HP do the implementation, with a third party consultancy firm called System Professional. They had exceptional understanding of the entire platform.

ROI

I cannot put a price on this investment. Suffice it to say that the countless number of man-hours saved not having to deal with tapes every day/week/month is invaluable.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

£100,000 including installation, support and maintenance contracts. This also includes two StoreOnce devices - one at our datacentre, and one replica at another campus.

Other Solutions Considered

No, we have an extensive support contract with HP and were given a heavily discounted educational agreement as opposed to what other vendors such as EMC were offering.

Other Advice

If you work for an educational institution (as I do), the potential long-term savings will easily add up compared to the short-term initial investment. Do your homework and look elsewhere and you will find it difficult to beat the product/service in terms of cost and performance

1 visitor found this review helpful

2 Comments

Calvin Zito, HPEStorageGuyVendor

Great, great review! Love hearing when StoreOnce solves fits in and does what we say. For those that don't know the portfolio well, here's a blog post with a good overview. Be sure to watch the videos too: http://hpstorage.me/1Ff6fB0

13 June 15
it_user265584Real User

I joined this forum looking for the experience of others for backup and SAN solutions. I am more of an expert at Next Generation Firewalls offered today. I see this user is happy with the HP backup solution. Are there reviews somewhere for VEEAM? Also I noticed the several good reviews for HP 3PAR SAN storage. Is there an in depth review for Nimble storage as well to compare? I have researched Nimble, NexGen and Kaminario for the larger SAN projects but have not purchased one of these yet. Thanks

02 July 15