HPE StoreOnce Review

We were previously using a different solution but our storage needs grew.

What is most valuable?

It performs pretty well with minimal to no issues.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us greater storage with a reduced footprint. It also works well with our servers – including our Dell servers. It was important that we have an integrated environment.

What needs improvement?

We had some initial driver issues, but I think the newer release has changed all that. The one issue I have is the maintenance package – it's very expensive. If I were to renew it, it would remain expensive and not cost effective. The initial proposal was inconsistent with what I found in terms of maintenance and renewal costs. A break/fix-type package would be better.

I've used it for four years.

It is pretty stable; excellent, in fact. I had one very minimal hard-drive failure.

We recently added more and it went very well. It's easy to add to this product.

8/10 for both. Issues were dealt with quickly and efficiently.

We were previously using a different solution but our storage needs grew and we decided we needed a new solution.

It was straightforward.

We had an HP engineer come in for implementation. He was excellent.

Dell and IBM. We chose HP because of the price and the vendor support.

What other advice do I have?

The two things that we looked at were performance and cost.

This particular product is stable, and the support has been good. If you want a reliable and reasonably-priced product, I would recommend it.

More HPE StoreOnce reviews from users
...who compared it with Dell EMC Data Domain Boost
2 Comments

author avatarit_user265584 (Senior Systems Administrator/Engineer at a university)

Hi Angus

Are you using a 3PAR SAN unit to send the backups to?

IT Central sent me this link via email

I had asked a question of IT Central about the HP 3PAR units and how good they might be compared with Nimble or NexGen but do not see mention of 3PAR in your review

Thanks !

author avatarit_user107568 (User at HPE)

Thanks for the review StoreOnce. For those that don't know the portfolio well, here's a blog post with a good overview. Be sure to watch the videos too: http://hpstorage.me/1Ff6fB0

Steven - I'm happy to answer questions you have. HP 3PAR is really a different class of storage compared to Nimble or NexGen. Both can only compete with the very low end of 3PAR. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.