HPE StoreOnce Review

The most valuable feature is the deduplication ability, but file sharing is also really good.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable is the deduplication ability, but file sharing is also really good.

How has it helped my organization?

We saw less capital outlay after implementing the solution.

What needs improvement?

For subsequent models, I would like HP to improve deduplication rations for tiny files numbering near a trillion, which they do in our business. StoreOnce doesn’t work for our class of data, which is small, and needs to include more genomic and medical research as test cases.

I have been using StoreOnce D2D for four years.

Stability was good but undersized for what we needed. We weren't able to de-duplicate what we needed.

It was not able to scale for us; we had to buy another solution (X9000) to store copies.

I found HP to be helpful, but they asked too many questions and were not really able to help our business.

We were in need of backing up petabytes of data for medical databases.

We had experience with the solution, so it was relatively simple.

• EMC
  • Comvault

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria for us is reliability.

If you work for a medical research institute or something with very small files, then this solution may not be for you. Your best move is to do a POC.

1 Comment

author avatarUser at HPE

I always appreciate folks taking time to leave a review - thank you!

It sounds like you have an older StoreOnce unit. The latest StoreOnce 6500 can start at 120TB and grow to over 2.2PB (raw capacity before any deduplication). Here's a blog post that gives a good overview of the StoreOnce portfolio: http://hpstorage.me/1Ff6fB0