HPE StoreOnce Review

It allows us to complete daily backup and restore tasks quicker than from physical tape, but it needs further integration with NetBackup to allow the use of catalyst storage as well as AIR.

Valuable Features

The use of the OST product for NetBackup AIR has been the most valuable feature as this allows seamless Disaster Recovery options.

Improvements to My Organization

The B6200 allows us to complete daily backup and restore tasks quicker than from physical tape. Also, we can use the replication of deduplicated backups to our offsite facility rather than sending lots of tapes

Room for Improvement

Further integration with NetBackup to allow the use of catalyst storage as well as AIR would be an improvement.

Use of Solution

I have been using this product for approximately five years.

When we first obtained the B6200 we did fill the disks due to our lack of understanding of how the the storage sets worked, which caused us an issue as the system at the time shutdown the F/C connections to stop any further data being sent to it. HP had to become involved in restoring the system, but this problem has now been addressed with new firmware.

With the older firmware we did have problems with the B6200 crashing with kernel problems, though this has now been addressed with the firmware updates.

We have not had any problems with the scalability of the B6200.

I have used HP services on a few occasions when setting up new functions and for problem resolutions and have found the service to be very good.

The technical support has been very good and the specialists know the product and can resolve the issues that were presented to them.

We switched from the HP VLS12000 system to the B6200 as the we wanted to use a full disk based backup solution rather than a Virtual Library. Also, the B6200 provides the support for NetBackup AIR.

We had a three-day onsite training course, so we found it fairly straightforward, I have since changed the configuration to accommodate NetBackup AIR and followed the HP documentation, which was easy to navigate and implement.

Implementation Team

The set-up was completed by HP services.

Other Advice

The HP StoreOnce range is great if you are running NetBackup as it integrates well with the backup product, the deduplication rates are very favorable, and it also allows the use of the DR option using AIR.