HPE StoreOnce Review

Very reliable, great deduplication rates.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features for us are the very high-performance deduplication and high deduplication rates. These features make it quite cost-effective.

Improvements to My Organization:

We previously used a tape-based backup system with a tape library and off-site storage of tapes, which was very expensive to run. It also wasn't terribly reliable and we had constant issues with capacity.

We migrated to StoreOnce and we're using the copy feature of StoreOnce to copy to another unit in a different location. We have the primary unit that we do backups to, and then we have another unit in our disaster-recovery site, and all the backups are copied over the WAN to the disaster-recovery site. It uses deduplication to do that too, so the bandwidth requirements are quite low.

So we have a completely tapeless backup flow that is very low impact on our network and has very high reliability.

Room for Improvement:

StoreOnce actually does pretty much everything we need. There are  quite a lot of features that we don't use at the moment such as virtual tape library and NAS.

But the initial network setup is not intuitive, and this could be improved.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for 18 months.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deploying it.

Stability Issues:

StoreOnce has been 100% stable in the eighteen months that we've been using it. We actually purchased an additional unit for a third location after the initial purchase of two units on the basis of the performance and reliability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

Initial Setup:

StoreOnce is not really complicated to set up. It's probably something that can be done by a typically-skilled systems administrator in a day or a half-day.

Other Advice:

I think as long as you have a clear understanding of what it does and you're quite sure that that's what you need, then there isn't a better product. Certainly, in terms of the ease-of-use and reliability, we haven't had any issues with StoreOnce. It's definitely one of the products that I would recommend to anyone.

1 visitor found this review helpful