HPE StoreOnce Review

Using virtual tapes, we have accelerated backup and recovery of our solutions.

Improvements to My Organization

Using virtual tapes, we can accelerate the backup/recovery of our solutions.

Room for Improvement

The CIFS share service performance is really poor; it is a nightmare. Instead of CIFS we prefer to use NFS.

When presenting CIFS shares to Linux hosts and I tried copying a huge quantity of files, performance was so slow, terribly slow... This was not an issue when I used NFS. Fortunately, I'm not the only one with this problem: http://www.v-strange.de/index.php/hardware/14-cifs-performance-problem-on-hp-storeonce-systems. Fortunately, too, it seems to be a firmware matter. I'll be looking to solve that problem.

Use of Solution

I have been using it for 14 months.

I have not encountered any deployment or scalability issues. The product is really stable.

Technical support is great! No problem; fast solutions.

Initial setup was so easy, really easy.

Implementation Team

We implemented it through a vendor; it was a smooth deployment.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

To be honest, the product is expensive to acquire and costs have been growing since then.

Other Solutions Considered

It is at the top of its class, in my experience.

Other Advice

It's a great product but it is really expensive. Expanding its capacities is sometimes more expensive than buying new storage.

4500 Backup
More HPE StoreOnce reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Veritas and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.