HPE StoreOnce Review

In my previous organization, it removed the need for manual tape swapping. Also, offsite tape storage is replaced by replication to a different/central site/device.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would be the high deduplication ratios, capable of 20 or more to 1 dedup ratio in a real-world backup environment. It seems to work very good for long retention times, even if there is little use, but sometimes you have to do it due to legal reasons, and that is where it shines.

How has it helped my organization?

In my previous organization, it removed the need for manual tape swapping. Hence, it removed the need for actual tape changers to be at 50 separate remote sites, leading to huge savings for the company.

Also, offsite tape storage is replaced by replication to a different/central site/device such as StoreOnce B6200/B6500 or even some lower-end one, such as 4900.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them add the ability to turn on/turn off global deduplication and etc.

Currently, only VTL-level deduplication is supported properly, while there seems to be some part of global deduplication working. However, in some rare cases, I saw data being removed on untouched VTL while you were deleting some particular cartridge within a separate VTL. It has probably been fixed by the most recent StoreOnce OS upgrades.

I have been using it for 4+ years.

I have not encountered any deployment issues.

Some models are shipped with one power supply by default, even when redundant PSUs are supported in pairs; be aware of that.

As long as the architecture was done correctly, I did not encounter any scalability issues. If an entry-level StoreOnce device is placed on a “soon to grow“ site, that is a planning mistake, not a scalability issue.

Customer service is great.

Technical support is great.

We switched because of company policy, the tapes aged, etc.

Initial setup was straightforward.

I was within support team, which did implement as well as support the solution.

Huge. Simply eliminating the need for tape changers returned the cost of the hardware within less than half a year.

Get an expert who knows the products, so you can get the best prices possible for both DP and StoreOnce. Because there are some things that can work for the same solution in different ways, hence they are differently licensed as well as priced.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure architecture is planning properly, e.g., centralised or decentralised HPE DP Cell Managers give you some quite different options and etc.

2620, 2700, 4900, B6200, B6500
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer:
More HPE StoreOnce reviews from users
...who compared it with Dell EMC Data Domain Boost
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Veritas and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.
2 Comments

author avatarChris Childerhose
ExpertTop 5Real User

Nice review. Looking to eliminate tape for our organization so will look in to this.

author avatarit_user259722 (User with 51-200 employees)

regarding "Room for Improvement"

As per my experience, there are other ways to enable and disable the deduplication on StoreOnce. but it depends on the installed firmware/software revision. After 3.11.x there are many improvements also it has the option to enable/disable the dedupe option per library, you create.

but, why there is need to disable such great feature which is best of ROI.

Further, deduplication is supported for all VTL, NAS, Catalyst, whichever is created using StoreOnce GUI/CLI supports deduplication.

Regards :)