HPE StoreOnce Review

Deduplication features are great, especially on Catalyst stores.

What is most valuable?

• The product is very easy to use.
  • Deduplication features are great, especially on Catalyst stores.
  • We can also choose where to do the deduplication (source, media server or target).

How has it helped my organization?

The product has really improved the backup and restore for our infrastructure. It gives you great scalability options up to 1.7 PB and, according to the vendor, it can scale up to 34 PB using HPE inline deduplication. We were able to perform quick restores because of the elimination of tapes. It provides great features like VTL, NAS and StoreOnce Catalyst.

What needs improvement?

The support team needs improvement. Sometimes, it takes support a lot of time to fix the issue and majority of the cases have to be escalated to the lab.

I have been using it the last five years.

No Issues , Its pretty easy .

Stability’s good. I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Its good .

On a scale of 1-10, I would rate technical support a 6.

We previously used Data Domain. We switched to StoreOnce because of the complexity of the Data Domain system. Data Domain is a great product, but it’s complex to use.

Initial setup was pretty easy. We did not face any problem.

For licensing and pricing, I would recommend just pay as you go. It’s pretty easy to scale.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this product. We only chose this product because we use HP’s Data Protector as a backup application and it has great support.

What other advice do I have?

Read the support matrix first. It is not supported on lot of the open systems such as OpenVMS or the IBM AS/400 iSeries.

B6200, B6500, B4700, VSA
More HPE StoreOnce reviews from users
...who compared it with Dell EMC Data Domain Boost
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Veritas and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: June 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.
1 Comment

author avatarit_user405018 (Technology Sales Director at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees)

HP StoreOnce has very limited paralel streams (upto 128). This situation prevents enterprise customers with lots of database servers can't backup on StoreOnce at the same time due to the low number of paralel streams. For example EMC DD9800 has 1024 paralel streams..

Really needs to be worked on...