HPE StoreOnce Review

A robust solution that is easy to set up and configure

What is our primary use case?

We are a partner and reseller for HP products, and we integrate various solutions for our customers. One of the areas that I work with is implementing storage solutions, and this is one of the products that my customers use.

This solution is used to emulate data relief for an MSL4048 and is deployed on-premises.

What needs improvement?

The solution would be improved if it could also be used as a data store for VMware. Not only as a backup repository but as an archiving data store for VMware.

I have approximately six years of experience with this solution.

We have implemented this solution for a number of customers, and they are happy with the stability.

There are several models of this device, and we have supplied our customers based on their requirements. Up to this point, they are still using the same models and we have not had to assist anyone with scaling this solution.

As far as HPE support is concerned, I don't have any issues with them. For the most part, I am coordinating with them. We normally handle the support for our customers or contact HPE support on their behalf.

The initial setup of this solution is quite easy for me. The implementation is straightforward.

The setup and configuration will only take about half a day, but the testing will take a little more time. You have to monitor the performance of the disk and the emulated data. In total, it will take perhaps two days to complete everything, including a backup and restore.

What other advice do I have?

For anybody looking for a robust backup solution that emulates a tape library, this is the product that they should go for. The only thing is that they cannot remove the data because it is appliance-based. They cannot, for example, manually remove the tape and bring it to another location. They would need to use replication for this.

This product is not perfect, but I am quite satisfied with it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.