HPE StoreVirtual Review

Using this platform, we were able to provide virtual desktops (VDI) to our end users across WAN, to help alleviate some of the problems that we’ve had with bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

• Hardware stability
  • Support
  • Four-hour response support
  • Performance

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

We are experiencing some latency that we’re resolving with HP.

The product has been in place for four months.

No issues with deployment.

No, the hardware has been good, and the system runs at a pretty low-temperature. We have ordered additional RAM as we need more.

Not yet. We haven’t made that jump yet, but in a few months we may add additional nodes. It seems simple enough to add additional nodes.

10/10.

10/10. They have experienced technical staff and work through the problems. They're very helpful.

This was our first HyperConverged solution.

It was a very smooth setup. We were given a small check-list, we prepared, and then HP came in, set it up, and trained us.

HP came on-site to help set up and train. They were hands on, and the training was good, as the interface is easy enough to be very understandable. The training we had is enough for us to scale out and add additional nodes in the future on our own.

It takes about two years.

The initial install cost is expensive, but eventually the cost per user is quite reasonable. The more you scale out, the faster it drops. The original cost per user was $971 for 500 users. The cost goes down to $594, and after 3,000 users, it goes down to $401.

Three of the four solutions we researched were HyperConverged solutions, and there wasn’t the same support and cost as we had from HP. HP was the best for cost savings per performance, year over year. We looked at three other solutions though for our RFP, and we selected HP. We evaluated the cost per user once you scale out.

What other advice do I have?

On the software side of things, we’ve had issues with printers. We have a complicated situation on the user side of things too. We were able to get through the issues and limitations by using PowerShell scripting. Having IT resources in-house is a must for more complicated cases.

More HPE StoreVirtual reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with Red Hat Ceph Storage
2 Comments

author avatarit_user279690 (Enterprise Server and Storage Analyst at Sonora Quest Laboratories)

My update for 12/29/2015:

Current Config:
We are running Horizon View, on VMWare 5.5, on the CS240-HC platform with ~ 65 non persistent desktops (1 use case). Other management tools we are using - Atlantis USX, ProfileUnity, Liquidware, and McAfee Move (Agentless). This use case has every desktop with 1 local label printer and 1 local laser printer. Logon time 50 to 55 seconds.

2016 budget config:
Adding a CS250-HC with 2 SSD per host. ~ 500 desktops non-persistent and persistent (2.5 use cases), DR VDI going live for failover, Security servers in the DMZ (Prod and DR), Internet Load balancers (Prod and DR). W/ SSD, logon times should be reduced to 30 seconds.

Biggest Hurdle:
Training the helpdesk to start thinking logoff/relogin to fix user issues (reimage on logoff). GPO, Powershell, and VB scripting knowledge to work with images and each use case.

My update for 5/31/2016:

Current Config:
Our Horizon View, VMware, Atlantis, ProfileUnity, Liquidware, and McAfee Move (Agentless) software versions are generally the same. Slight version upgrades. Our big change for the first half of 2016 is that we purchase our first CS250-HC Hybrid (2 SSDs). Logon times have improved 40 to 45 seconds. The VSA for the CS250 is on a separate cluster since the CS240 has such different storage requirements. we are now just under 100 VDI users and quickly deploying now that the new hardware is in place. 400 UDI users by the end of 8/2016.

We still planning a 2nd half 2016 DR deployment, DMZ, and load balancers.

Biggest Hurdles: