HPE StoreVirtual Review

We like the Multi-site capability for disaster recovery and how it is easy to support.

What is most valuable?

• Multi-site capability for disaster recovery
  • Application aware snapshots
  • Enterprise solution for virtualisation
  • Centralised and easy to use management
  • Easy to support whether it is four or 40 storage nodes

How has it helped my organization?

Business continuity and disaster recovery. The storage environment is spread between two geographical locations – bi-annually BCP/DR tests are conducted proving the validity of the architecture. Each site in turn simulates power loss – both the compute and storage that supports the vSphere estate are affected. In all cases, these tests have been 100% successful.

What needs improvement?

It needs further improvements in terms of reporting from the CMC, specifically more detailed alerting from the CMC.

We've been using it for five years. We're currently running SANi/Q versions 10.5 and LeftHand OS version 12.5.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

We have had no issues with the stability.

There have been issues with adding further nodes to existing management groups and clusters. The volume re-syncing and re-striping caused some performance issues. With version 9.5 of the OS there were high numbers of disk failures – these appear to have been resolved as we progressed through versions 11.5 to 12.5.

Technical support is excellent. I have great experiences in dealing with technical support. Generally, the product is so intuitive (to people appropriately skilled to manage storage) that HP support is only really required when low-level shell-type access is required or when a major bug has been detected.

EMC CLARiiON, IBM DS 4000 series – HP LeftHand presented a more rounded and mature storage solution.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The CMC logically guides you through the setup and configuration process. This does negate the requirement to plan the implementation, but even if you choose not to use the wizard and manually configure management groups, cluster groups, FOM instances, etc., the CMC lets you know what needs to be completed first.

The implementation was all completed in-house with some limited input from the vendor partner group.

My advice – plan your installation, think about your geography, consider what the technology can do for you, think about the networking, consider that like any storage, it works well plugged into the high end backbone and not just available ports on some local access switch.

If you fail to think about the connectivity correctly, performance can be affected. Finally, latency is king, so keep your eye on the performance monitor within the CMC.

The HP product is end-of-life, and the cost for licensing is considerable but necessary. HP support for breaks as fixes are required. Low-level and shell access requires an HP engineer because passwords required are not given out to customers. If you don’t procure the HP care packs for your P4000 estate, you cannot download or gain access to updates, i.e. OS updates, BIOS, firmware, etc.

I am currently considering Tintri VAS and Nimble as well as reviewing certain hyper-converged technologies such as SimpliVity and Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure you have the right skills – general administration is straight forward but Virtual Connect configuration requires knowledge.

More HPE StoreVirtual reviews from users