HPE StoreVirtual Review

We have the ability to migrate data between clusters within the same management group. We've been unable to customize alerting thresholds.

What is most valuable?

• The ability to scale out if/when additional capacity is required.
  • The ability to migrate data between clusters within the same management group.

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't helped as the HP provided software for the host server systems has become a continuous nightmare when it comes to HP LH OS upgrade process with our 260+ systems in multiple management groups/clusters.

What needs improvement?

• Inability to customize alerting thresholds.
  • Un-usability of the HP CMC for HP LH OS upgrade when a newer version is released but not upgraded although the to-be-upgraded version is an older one.
  • Failure to report on lower-level hardware issue via HP CMC and/or SANMON UI unless checking iLO GUI.
  • Inability to re-configure/modify iLO settings via HP LH OS.
  • Multiple HP SANIQ / LH OS upgrade issues, e.g. upgrade resource partition unavailable, especially if the systems have been running for close to or more than a year.
  • Bug(s) in the HP-provided software for the host server systems not detected/identified by HP QA/QE and caused multiple post software-upgrade outages.
  • Difficulty on even opening a case due to poor record-keeping of/by HP.

~6 years.

There have been no issue with the deployment.

We have had numerous issues with the stability that have been enumerated above.

We have had no issues scaling it although upgrading a management group with more than 10 nodes can turn into a reboot nightmare...if the reboot even resolves the bug(s)/issue(s).

Just OK...especially if you should be unlucky enough to have a set of P4800 (blade-based)

It's 8/10 once we escalate past Tier One, and sometimes even Tier Two.

We were previously using NetApp for block-based storage requirements. HP StoreVirtual (LeftHand) was selected due to the lower initial purchase (CapEx) and subsequent support (OpEx) costs.

It was reasonably straightforward.

All our HP StoreVirtual (LeftHand) systems are implemented via the vendor teams that handle most of our on-site work followed by in-house Storage Administration team member(s) for additional storage-level configuration.

We have not officially calculated the exact ROI.

There's no advice about pricing/licensing as we handle it via an HP VAR, with a contract established with YP, that provides very good pricing/licensing numbers.

NetApp.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to only use HP StoreVirtual (LeftHand) for small-scale and/or per-project deployments via iSCSI (IPSAN) preferably on dedicated network between the host server and the storage systems.