HPE StoreVirtual Review

It allows us the ability to use direct-attached storage of our existing servers for clustered Virtual SAN. The stability needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

It allows the direct-attached storage of our existing servers to be used for clustered Virtual SAN.

How has it helped my organization?

We implemented it into a development environment, but we found that it was not reliable enough to put it into production.

What needs improvement?

Management of the system is tedious. Stability needs improvement. The system would work fine for weeks and then one of the VSA virtual machines would hang, taking down the clustered volume. This was very confusing, because I had four nodes, which should have allowed fault-tolerance.

I've been using it for six months.

I had no issues deploying it.

There were stability issues. See the Areas for Improvement section.

We didn't scale it beyond four nodes as it never went into production.

Support was not helpful, instead advising me to upgrade to a paid version which includes support.

I have tried StarWind’s VSAN solution, but decided to go with HP VSA because it was included in the purchase price of my HP DL360 G9, approximately $20,000.

The installation and creation of the ‘cluster’ was fairly straightforward. Volume creation and additional required configuration was a bit more complex.

I implemented it myself. I would suggest deploying in a dev environment first, to ensure thorough understanding. It is not exactly intuitive.

I stopped using the product when the VSA volume took itself offline for the second time.

I used the free 1TB license that is included with all newer HP servers.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have more than enough VSA nodes (at least enough to handle a loss of one node and preferably two). Ensure the license supports distributed volumes, rather than single-host volumes.