Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE StoreVirtual Review
It had shelf-level redundancy before others, is intuitive, and you install the fat client on Windows.

Valuable Features:

Shelf level-redundancy is one of the big things that StoreVirtual has had before some other SAN manufacturer or SAN model brands, which is pretty nice. It can be rather expensive because you are much less efficient when you have that redundancy, but it's definitely a benefit if you really need access to that data. You can't have it go down ever. That's definitely a benefit if you're willing to pay for it I guess.

It's fairly intuitive, and a fat client, so you install it on Windows. It works.

Room for Improvement:

There's one thing that just drives me nuts. It's the fact that it doesn't have any dedicated management. I know that they've got 10 gig and they've got one gig. You can put those in there, but I'd really like to see dedicated management ports on the backsides of them.

Use of Solution:

I no longer work on those products as of a year ago. If something's changed within that time, I don't know.

Stability Issues:

I haven't had problems with it.

Scalability Issues:

The systems that I've installed haven't been gigantic. I know that it's supposed to scale pretty large. With each additional node that you add, you're adding additional horsepower, different things. That's another nice benefit to it, rather than just adding a disc shelf that has one or two heads, you're adding additional CPU and memory to go along with each one.

There was only one time I did have to contact them, and they got the issue fixed.

Initial Setup:

It's pretty simple. It has a little bit of a learning curve. They're all the same; they all do very similar things. It's learning what they call them and exactly where to find the buttons. That's really what it comes down to.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Initially it can come out cheaper than 3PAR depending on how you grow it. You can add some redundancy in there that eventually, depending on which I guess type of 3PAR you're going with and whatnot, the StoreVirtual could do from what I've heard. I did mostly post-sales rather than pre-sale stuffs. It can become quite expensive and even become more expensive than some of the 3PARs. It's sixes now probably what you can get into it for price wise. It just depends once you get down the line performance wise.

Other Solutions Considered:

We do 3PAR. That's another HP product that's really nice and solid. That's what we sell more of than even StoreVirtual.

Other Advice:

The product's fine, but the fact it doesn't have dedicated management is a big thing to me.

1 visitor found this review helpful
7f9f2c45 db55 4edf a27b 6f6ddc86d4b0 avatar

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About HPE StoreVirtual?

Our experts can help. 213,655 professionals have used our research on 5,586 solutions.