HPE StoreVirtual Review

Good deduplication, compression features, and replication

What is our primary use case?

We've implemented this solution for our customer, who is in the sales sector. It's clustered and mapped to one of the blades. We use the solution for a Hyper-V environment and all of our other virtual machines are deployed inside this solution.

What is most valuable?

There's less downtime.

All of the administrative tasks are easy and everything is centralized.

Deduplication, compression features, replication, global mirroring and all the basic features you would expect are there.

What needs improvement?

In our country, Qatar, most of the industry isn't using too much HP. StoreVirtual doesn't move fast. It's not a popular product.

A virtualization platform should be added to this platform.

It's not an active-active cluster. It's active-passive cluster. The customers are looking for active-active features in their storage solution. The solution should offer this.

I'm actually handling the pre-sales part. My experience is less than two years for this particular product.

The stability is okay. We haven't heard of clients having issues with crashes, bugs, or glitches.

The scalability of the solution is good. However, customers always want to know the cost per rack. There are other products that can give a client more capacity than StoreVirtual in terms of scalability.

Technical support is very good. Most of the time StoreVirtual is actually bundled with the Proactive Care. From HP's side, they offer some good support for their customers.

I'm in pre-sales, so I don't deal with the implementation process. I don't know if it's complex or not.

The StoreVirtual solution is a hardware product, so the customer only purchases licenses on a one-time basis. I have no idea of the exact pricing for that, however. Unless the customer wants to add specific features like replication, all other costs are associated with the software itself.

We're interested in evaluating other solutions such as Red Hat and IBM Spectrum.

What other advice do I have?

StoreVirtual is mostly a mid-range to enterprise-level storage solution. In terms of performance, it's quite good. However, now we have some other products which are even better than HP itself. It's still a good solution. It's just a more competitive landscape.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If it had virtualizations and better scalability, I would rank it higher.

More HPE StoreVirtual reviews from users