HPE Synergy Review

Composable infrastructure allows us to build our own server profiles, then build up the infrastructure that we need from compute modules

What is our primary use case?

We are going to use it for the SQL server and hypervisors, thus for virtualization. From our point of view, it is the compute power that we are really looking to use. So, expanding on what we have been doing with the C7000 series, and moving it into Synergy.

How has it helped my organization?

We are just in the process of building it out. We have not had a chance to review what it will do for us in terms of what we currently have.

We are hoping rather than having to do manual tasks. We can redeploy resources to do other tasks. Automation saves us time and effort when doing these mundane tasks.

What is most valuable?

The composable infrastructure, so being able to build our own server profiles, then build up the infrastructure that we need from compute modules. Just automating all the management tasks that we have for our server hardware.

What needs improvement?

It is hard to say because we have not fully implemented it yet.

One of the issues that we that we have been having is with the firmware baselining. So, we need to just making sure that we get that working. However, we are in the early stages. It may well be that we just tweak a few things, then it does everything for us.

Trial/evaluations only.

It seems to be really stable. We did blow one hardware model, but I think that was just a build issue. Other than that, it has been very stable.

On the scalability, it looks like it is right there for us, which is really good.

I have not used technical support yet.

We previously used the C7000 blade infrastructure, but that was kind of one enclosure with servers, and they were able to scale using multiple frames, multiple frame groups, etc.

So, we were starting to outgrow our C7000 series. We started to grow our SAN network, therefore we had gone from 8G to 32G. Thus, our virtualization stage was growing, so we needed capacity. With the Synergy environment, we can just scale out. That is what we could not really do with the C7000 series.

Our reseller installed it; a third-party.

No. We are an HPE outfit, so everything is HPE.

What other advice do I have?

Understand your needs, understand where you are going, and what your future and the future of the industry are. Make sure you invest and research into all the products that are available.

Synergy is first in class for composable infrastructure. It has the scalability that meets our future needs and the automation that builds into something that we are really looking forward to using.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Support, reliability, stability and the feature technologies which are included in the product.

More HPE Synergy reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco UCS B-Series
Learn what your peers think about HPE Synergy. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.