HPE Synergy Review

Good uptime and performance, yet easy to manage with a user-friendly interface

What is our primary use case?

We use the Synergy Frame to host the main infrastructure for a big project. We have multiple Synergy Frames that are all managed by a single OneView interface.

The uptime and the performance meet our expectations, plus the integration with 3PAR is very good.

How has it helped my organization?

The OneView installed on the composers has a very friendly user interface, which helps to manage the compute modules in the frame compared to management used in legacy technologies.

The Online firmware update for the virtual connects has minimized our downtime windows.

What is most valuable?

The features we found most valuable are:

• Using only two virtual connect modules to support network for multiple frames
  • Ease of management using the OneView Composer
  • Online firmware update for the Virtual Connects, which are part of a single logical interconnect module

What needs improvement?

The OneView has improved a lot throughout the years with the release of the Synergy and OneView version 4, although it still has issues. The stability and smoothness of firmware upgrades for the compute modules can be improved by enabling full composability of the Synergy Frame.

We have been using this solution for two years.

This solution is very stable.

Our impression of the scalability is very good in terms of Composer and virtual connects, since you need only two of each for multiple frames.

Technical support for this solution has a very good initial response; however, escalation takes time, and most of the time the first level of support cannot solve your case.

We used a different solution previously, but we switched because of the ease of management, and in addition, this solution is future proof.

The initial setup is done by a partner and it is straightforward, but it takes time.

Our deployment was handled by a Vendor Team, and they are very experienced.

We did evaluate other options before choosing this solution, including Dell PowerEdge M1000e and Cisco UCS.

What other advice do I have?

My suggestion is to go with HPE Synergy Composer v2 once it is released.

Have HPE support with you while doing hardware upgrades.