Huawei Enterprise Routers Review

Good connection but lacks scaling capabilities and technical support

What is most valuable?

When we started, the connection was amazing for the 100G between the switches and the co-switch. What the students typically use for school is a maximum is 40 so they now have faster technology.

What needs improvement?

We've only been testing the solution for a month and our main concern is stability. We wanted to see if it's as stable as, for example, Cisco. So far, that has not been the case. The router recently failed on us, and we had to end the test.

In my country we don't have Huawei technology, we only have Huawei routers for ISP. There is no agent for Huawei in Egypt.

In the end, the router was incompatible with the bundles.

It's difficult to get the scalability right.

There's a gap between their online support and documentation.

Currently, we've been testing the solution. We've been testing it for one month now.

The stability ended up not being what we hoped, therefore, we reverted back to Cisco routers, which are much more stable.

The scaling wasn't a smooth experience at all. If you need to scale the product, you'll run into issues.

We had about 2,000 users on the solution before we decided to switch to Cisco.

In Egypt, there is no Huawei in the local market, and therefore there isn't any support.  You can only go through an Independent Service Provider. When you have issues, you need to connect to and ISP, and that can sometimes be difficult.

We're a firm that handles multiple schools around the Middle East. Most of the schools use Cisco Solutions and FortiGate as a firewall. Therefore, we often use a variety of products, not just Huawei.

The price of the product is good and is quite a bit less than Cisco. I don't have exact pricing, however.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply a customer.

While we've tried the solution for a month, we're finding the stability isn't where we need it to be. Cisco is much more stable.

I would recommend the solution to others as it does offer good pricing. However, you need to have good support in your area. If you have a good technical person who can help you set up your network accurately and have access to good support, it might work out fine.

You also have to be careful not to overwhelm the router with users due to scalability issues. We have a school in the Gulf doing amazing however the school only needs to handle around 300 users we never hit full capacity in the first year of using it. We'll see if the hardware acts up after another year and possibly more users.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at a six. My experience is slightly biased, as we don't have support in my country, so when we run into issues we tend to be on our own. However, if stability, support, and market availability come together, it has the potential to be a great product.

More Huawei Enterprise Routers reviews from users