Huawei Enterprise Routers Review

Easy to configure and troubleshoot, but they need more visibility in the licensing model

What is our primary use case?

We use these routers to connect our customers.

We use them for client access, and we use them in the network core. We also use them on the edge, for security. We have some of their security products sitting at the edge of our network, and we use Huawei laptops to connect our customers from their premises. Sometimes, they use their own on-premises equipment.

We have the big NE40-X8 and NE5000E routers everywhere in our infrastructure. In addition to the network core, this includes the client edge, client access edge, and we had them at the internet edge.

We also use their Huawei equipment for our long distance DWDM fiber, so we have the Huawei devices to cover different aspects.

How has it helped my organization?

We do not rely solely on Huawei routers. Rather, they make up part of our networking infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The configuration syntax makes it easy for us to configure the device and perform troubleshooting when needed.

What needs improvement?

Huawei needs to be a bit more open with their licensing model. What I find is that when you buy equipment, you expect that you have a particular feature. By the time you want to use that feature, you realize that you need to acquire a license for it. That is the one thing that I think they need to improve on.

Essentially, they need to open their licensing model such that when a customer buys a device, they have a full view of all of the available licenses for it. It's not at the time of use that the customer will now be informed that they need to purchase an additional license.

I have been working with Huawei Enterprise Routers for more than 10 years.

These routers are stable.

The topic of scalability is tricky because it depends on what the customer is requesting. If you put a device on the network edge, it's practically sized for almost everything that the customer wants to do. This is true except in the case where there is a major change in scope, which may require a corresponding change in device.

Usually, they are scalable, but it means that if you're going to have very big projects then you need to make changes to the equipment that you are using.

Rating the technical support on a scale of one to five, I would score them a three to four. It's not perfect, but it's available. You have to contact them initially, and then they get back to you.

I also have experience with MikroTik, Juniper, and Cisco.

The configuration is not as reduced as it is with Cisco, which makes them quicker to configure.

Personally, I will use MikroTik products because they are the most economical in terms of pricing. They are also the most open in terms of licensing and functionality. However, there are not a lot of people who have the skill set required to maintain the MikroTik environment. This means that when I'm dealing with customers who are not technical, I suggest using a Huawei or a Cisco device. In my own deployment, where I am personally in charge of deployment, I'll use a MikroTik device.

Based on my experience, the initial setup is straightforward. There's no challenge with deployment. The length of time required depends on which particular model you are working with because they don't all take the same amount of time.

For example, if you're implementing and configuring the network core, it is not the same scope as configuring a client.

These routers are not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I like to use this product and most of our deployments are now products from Huawei. We don't have any problems with these routers.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

NE40E-X8, NE5000E
More Huawei Enterprise Routers reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Enterprise Routers
Learn what your peers think about Huawei Enterprise Routers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.