Huawei Ethernet Switches Review

Inexpensive, good documentation and very good technical support

What is our primary use case?

The solution is an IoT router but we primarily use it as the layer for industrial switches for CCTV video transmission.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very inexpensive. The documentation is very good.

Technical support is also very good.

They have the ability, since they have a very big R&D team, to create an upgrade for any feature or patch very easily.

What needs improvement?

Troubleshooting documentation should be improved.

The interoperability of the devices, in general, on the Huawei switches is not good and is known to be not good. Maybe they can improve this a bit.

In terms of being able to patch quickly, if you have both a quality device, a quality switch that has a specific capability, Huawei won't necessarily have the same capability until a patch is created for it.

I've been using the solution for approximately one year.

I'm satisfied with the stability of their equipment. There are no crashes, unexpected events, outages, or reboots.

We've never tried to scale the solution, so I can't speak to how scalable it is. We do have a client with 1,000-5,000 employees.

We've been satisfied with the level of technical support we've received from the solution. We've used technical support a lot, and it's one of the main advantages of the solution overall.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's very easy. Initially, the implementation took longer than we thought. We set it up over a period of two or three weeks.

We deployed the solution ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

When compared to Cisco switches, the Huawei switches are a bit lower in quality. They have similar properties that the Cisco switches have. Often Huawei brings in the features to match the competition later, and, in general, the overall quality a bit lower. Sometimes, because of this, you might have some unexpected results. The documentation is generally good, but troubleshooting documents for some unusual bugs or glitches are never created.

I generally recommend Huawei switches because although they are lower quality, they are cheaper than other switches. If you compare the price to quality ratio, it's pretty good, which is why we bought them.

Initially, many users are tempted by the idea of getting something that's that cheap. I recommend users to explore and investigate how they will use the switches and what they will purchase. Huawei is both good and not good. It depends on how you look at. If you really want to go with Huawei, then just be aware that Huawei has interoperability problems with many other vendors. In this case, I'd recommend going with all Huawei products to avoid issues.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

More Huawei Ethernet Switches reviews from users