Huawei Ethernet Switches Review

Easy to use and manage, and integrates well with other solutions

What is our primary use case?

We use Huawei Ethernet Switches as part of our network.

How has it helped my organization?

We implemented 10G and Layer 3 supported switches with a lower cost. Our network connection our network application started to work faster. Also we stacked the switches and our availability increased.

What is most valuable?

Huawei Ethernet switches are easy to use and can be managed using either the GUI or via the command-line.

This solution integrates well with products from other vendors, such as Cisco.

What needs improvement?

We have a purchasing procedure. It says that if we want to buy a specific product or service we should get quotes from at least three companies. If we cannot get more than one quote we should find a similar product or service from a different vendor.

We had this issue last year. We needed 15 access points and we wanted to buy Huawei access points because our other devices were Huawei. I wanted a quote from three Huawei partner but only one of them sent the quote. Other partners said that Huawei did not send any quote
information because they send quote only one partner. We talked to Huawei regional sales manager but they said they can not do anything for this situation.

Because of this situation, I searched for the products of other vendors. Aruba sent three quotes from its different partners and their quotes were similar. And also they were cheaper than Huawei. Because of the cost factor, our purchasing department preferred to buy Aruba access points.

We had the same issue for the switches at around the end of 2019. Because I don't have time to search other vendors we canceled the purchasing and our budget for switches.

Now I don't have any spare products and I will be trouble if one of my switches fails.

I have been using Huawei Ethernet Switches for about three years.

The stability of these switches is good. They are very durable because one of the cooling fans in our data center failed and this solution was still working at about 50 degrees Celcius (122 degrees Fahrenheit). There was some latency but it was still working.

You can scale up this solution very easily. If you have enough ports at your core switch or main switch, then you can attach other switches. You have to write a couple of simple commands and then add the other switches.

There are 24 switches with about 400 devices and 200 users connected to them.

Local support is available in Turkey from two or three different partners. However, we rarely ask for support from Huawei because when you set up a deice it works properly and we rarely need to change anything. If you add a new device, such as an access point, then you may need to configure some ports but it is very rare. It happens two or three times a year in our organization.

Prior to this solution, I was using devices by Cisco. They are very nice but they are also very expensive. The cost is the reason that we switched.

Deploying this solution is easy. You just connect the cables.

One person is enough to maintain our 24 switches.

Huawei Ethernet switches have a price advantage over other solutions. You can buy about four Huawei switches for the price of one Cisco switch.

The exact pricing varies based on how many units you purchase. For example, if you buy one then it is expensive, but if you buy ten or more then there is a discount. I would expect the same would apply to larger purchases, such as a bulk discount for buying 100 or more units.

We also looked at network solutions by Aruba and HP. Our Huawei warranty will expire in 2023 and we may change the product, but we do not yet know. Before that time we will test other devices and decide whether or not to stay with Huawei. Replacing the switches would not be a problem for us.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very nice device and I recommend it.

Hybrid Cloud