Huawei FusionStorage Review

Provides block, object, big data, and file storage and has a simple GUI-based management platform

What is our primary use case?

I am a solutions architect. I help people define the solutions that will work best for them. Huawei FusionStorage is software-defined storage. Mostly we propose the hardware solutions to our customers. FusionStorage is a software solution for user storage needs. Generally, we would propose using the software with something from the OceanStor series by Huawei. But you can install the software on any of the universal servers like Huawei, HP, Dell — it can be any server.

What is most valuable?

The features I know about that are the most valuable are the block, file and object storage features.

It has a very simple GUI-based management platform and it is very simple to use. There is a very easy step-by-step configuration procedure that guides you through, and you can configure it very easily.

What needs improvement?

One place where this product should be improved is in the deployment. It should be made easier and the time should be reduced. The number of software packages could be minimized and with a little effort, the deployment time can be streamlined and the time reduced.

Actually Huawei FusionStorage is a relatively new solution. We have been looking forward to deploying it here in the UAE since its release.

The product is very stable.

If you activate the FusionStorage solution, it can integrate with other solutions as well. It can work with other solutions like the MVS (Multiple Virtual Storage) and Hyper-V. So it can be integrated and scaled with other solutions.

Huawei has very good support. They have support available in deep tech here in the Middle East region. If support is required from the headquarters in China because the solution does not come from the local resources, users can also get support from the experts in China. So, Huawei's support has several options and it is really very good.

The only thing I really know about the initial setup is that currently the installation is not that straightforward. There are nine or ten different software packages you have to install before the product is complete. Then it is time for the configuration. The total time to prepare it, initially, would be around 10 days.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate this solution as an eight of ten. While I know it is an excellent solution and it will work well for our Huawei customers, we do not have any use cases here in the UAE for FusionStorage yet because it has yet to be deployed anywhere. In China, they would possibly have some of the use cases. But in the UAE, it is totally new. Actual customer feedback is very important because the economy of software has changed and the customer is the one testing the product.