Huawei NGFW Review

User-friendly, but the dashboard is slow and they need to add IDS/IPS

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is user-friendly and very easy to use.

The mapping features and traffic logging are good.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard is a little bit slow and they can improve performance on things like configuring policies.

Wildfire analysis would be useful features to include in the future. This features help Network Administrator to have a detail visibility in the threats coming from the traffic which is analysed by the device itself.

Adding Intrusion Detection (IDS) and Intrusion Prevention (IPS) systems would improve the product. This may exist in the enterprise-grade firewall, but on the mid-level firewall, the functionality is lacking.

I would like to see anti-phishing features included.

Better reporting generation would be useful.

We have been using the Huawei next-generation firewall for five years.

This is a scalable solution and it can be integrated with other devices like Cisco.

I have not had to contact technical support. When I have needed help, I did research online myself and never had to contact Huawei.

The community support is quite good. On the other hand, it is difficult to find documentation online. This is unlike the case with Cisco, where finding the documentation is easy.

I also have experience with similar solutions by Cisco.

The initial setup is easy. It takes only a few minutes to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation for anybody who is researching this solution is to start with a proof of concept. We no longer use Huawei as our firewall. The number one vendor in the market is Fortinet, then there is Palo Alto, and finally Checkpoint.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

More Huawei NGFW reviews from users