Huawei NGFW Review

Good interface and easy to set up but needs more documentation

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very, very good.

There are lots of great features within the product.

Overall, it seems to be a pretty good firewall.

What needs improvement?

The solution doesn't seem to be very mature. Our networking team says they are experiencing a lot of issues in the firewalls and some routers.

There are fewer use cases available on the net. Examples are available on the net for configuring some of their features. Our team has found that they have to refer to the documents and they need to do a lot of tweaking and experimenting with features. There have been some difficulties in getting some features enabled on the firewalls and routers.

I've been using the solution for four to five months.

The stability is okay. It could be more stable. However, our team seems to think it's fine right now. We haven't had it up for too long. We need to give it a bit of time to see if there's anything that stands out.

We haven't had the solution for very long. It's hard to tell just yet if it can scale well.

We have about 500-700 users that are covered under this firewall. We do plan to increase usage over the next three to four years or so.

Generally, technical support is quite good.

It could be a bit faster in terms of reaction time. Basically, their response is very good. However, sometimes they need lots of logs and information before solving any of our issues. It takes too long occasionally due to this requirement, and our production suffers a loss in services. Sometimes it's very good, and sometimes it's slower. It's not really constant, although I wouldn't say they are bad.

For a basic installation, the initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward.

If you're talking about a basic installation, you are looking at a three or four-day deployment. However, we often have to configure many items and that takes some time. In total, you may be looking at maybe ten to 15 days before you have a complete solution.

Our network department dedicated almost 3% of staff to getting everything up and running, and there are four firewalls. However, for the networking department, we have lot of engineers working on Huawei products as well.

We mostly handled the deployment ourselves, although we did get Huawei to help us in certain aspects.

I don't deal with the licensing process, so I can't speak to the pricing of the solution. I am unsure as to if it is too expensive or not.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution currently.

I'd recommend the product to other organizations. So far, for us, it's worked pretty well.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten. I'm sure as it matures and they add more features according to their client's requirements, it will get better. While they need more online documentation we can see it's already getting better. It just needs more time to develop as a product.

More Huawei NGFW reviews from users