Huawei OceanStor Dorado Review

Easy to manage, easy to provision storage, and it is a good price to performance ratio

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT distributor and this is one of the storage solutions that we implement for our clients. The primary use case is for VMware virtualization, although it is also used for database system storage. Oracle and other SQL databases require a lot of performance in terms of IO per second, which is met by using OceanStore Dorado.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the price to performance ratio. It is a very good price compared to other products and taking the performance into account, it is probably the best price-to-performance ratio on the market right now.

This solution is easy to manage and storage can be provisioned in a very easy way.

What needs improvement?

The logistics can be improved because sometimes we have to wait a long time for the product to be delivered, despite there being stores available in Europe. Some of our customers are discouraged due to this long wait time.

The marketing for this product needs to be improved because it does not have enough exposure.

This solution does not support VMware VVols 2.0. However, I do not feel that this is necessary.

I have about a year and a half of experience with OceanStor Dorado.

The product is stable. We have not had any complaints about the features or stability of this solution from our customers.

I have not been in contact with technical support, and I have not heard that any of our customers have needed to contact them either.

I am also familiar with Pure Storage. They have a nice product and they concentrate only on storage solutions. It is very easy to manage, as well.

I have also worked with storage solutions by Fujitsu and HPE.

The initial setup is short and rather straightforward. One person can do it on their own.

The length of time required for deployment varies depending on how complex the environment is. For example, the simple provision of storage is very easy, but it is always connected through some kind of SAN so it can take time. However, the product itself takes an hour, at most, to deploy.

We are the distributors for this product and our resellers are the ones who do the implementation and deployment.

There are lots of features included with this solution and some of them require additional licensing, such as creating high availability storage using a cluster.

What other advice do I have?

In Poland, cloud-based workloads are just starting to be adopted. For the time being, the majority of solutions are still deployed on-premises.

Overall, this is a good product that performs well and is easy to manage. Everything that is required by the market, this product already has.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Distributor
More Huawei OceanStor Dorado reviews from users