Huawei OceanStor Review

Easy to install, good configuration and extremely stable

What is our primary use case?

We have some Huawei 9000 cases for our virtualization, and for the storage block-level and mass as well, For HyperMetro too, for 18560 and 6800, this solution is critical for our company. The product is the main one on the line, it serves the entire company. Our usage expands daily.  We are partners with Huawei and I'm the technical lead.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to install and configure. It's also very stable.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see a more stable, lighter Metro and better logging system for issues and resolution in the future.

We've been using this solution for the past 12 months.

For HyperMetro there are some requirements for stable and dark fiber links. We have some issues with the dark fiber, but mostly their storage is very stable. We have around 3,500 users for 6800 and a total of almost 6,000 users. We used Huawei for the initial deployment but for the second deployment we mostly did it by ourselves.

Customer support is very good but if you want support and you don't have SNS switches as well, the complete solution is not there. Sometimes Huawei support doesn't extend to that. For other products they generally ask you to contact other principals. I don't think Huawei isselling their SNS switches anymore.

We didn't abandon the solutions we were using before Huawi. We have some EMC solutions which are also installed and running.

It's very easy to install and configure the solution. It didn't take too long, it was more about fulfilling requirements for storage and deployment, so probably a month to six weeks.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution and rate it a nine out of 10.

More Huawei OceanStor reviews from users