Huawei OceanStor Review

How has it helped my organization?

• High storage capacity integrated with the core business.
  • Possibility to create new virtualized IT services connected to this storage.
  • Possibility to share very high quantity of information between high quantity of users.

What is most valuable?

Stability: The product is designed to have always HA (High Availability) with redundant network and processors.

Scalability: Willing to integrate high quantity of volumes from different protocols for storage/HD (SAS, SCSI, etc.).

Compatibility: Fully compatible with network based storage both TCP/IP for NAS and FC (Fiber Channel) for SAS.

What needs improvement?

Configuration complexity and the tools available.

No. Very stable, once it has been properly configured.

No. Very scalable.

Could improve. There is a lot of documentation, fairly complete, but the technical assistant in my experience could improve.

No. Just using before an open-source-based solution and not scalable.

The configuration process is very complex, and the proprietary tools/software available for configuration are kind of tricky to install and run.

It's roughly affordable.

Yes. HP and EMC. Those are considerably more expensive than OceanStor.

What other advice do I have?

Check for the new version (V3). It seems to have some interesting features and improvements on the configuration process.