Huawei OceanStor Review

Has sped up our operations and it is easy to maintain and support

What is our primary use case?

We use it as primary storage for our Virtualization environment (vmware) under HP Blade system. We store the VM and the data on int (SQL Server, etc).

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization by speeding up our operations and increasing the scale of operations (growth capacity).

What is most valuable?

I like the solution's speed and the use of SSD technology. If I have to compare it to what we had before, I would say that it's easier to maintain and to support (on top of performance). It offers great capacity.

it servers not only as SAN but also NAS. The conectivity has a lot of options and prepares us for the use of Ethernet 10Gbit.

The configuration (web interface) is very simple and the dashboard provides all the basic information (health, etc) in a glimpe.

I've been using Huawei OceanStor ( /products/huawei-oceanstor-reviews ) for about nine months now.

We haven't experienced any problems since we started using the solution a few months ago. I hope that this continues. Considering that this is a new technology and not a fast prototype, I don't think there will be any stability problems.

According to their specifications, the scalability is very good. We didn't have to scale yet, but in the future we might add more disks.

So far we never had to call support. We currently have a contract who is available 24 hours a day with four hours response time. But as we haven't used it before, I don't know if it's really good or not.

We had an Hitachi SAN AMS 2100 system, that provided us a great service along a lot of years, but that at the moment was completely obsolete (limited FC speed, disks starting to fail frequently, low relative capacity). The storage was not in par with the new servers and their capacities. The main cause of removal was the lack of official support.

The deployment took a little longer. The installation and setup were just like any other product. It was not complex at all. We want everything to run smooth, so deployment took us about a week or two. But it could be done in two days' time, it is just that we preferred to be more secure and going step by step. In our case, we were moving a lot of data from the old system to the new one and we did this one thing at a time. So that is why it took so long.

We use a vendor team with great expertise in the solution.

Pay attention to other systems with licensing. This system included everything in perpetual mode. Setup cost and time is very simple. As a new player price is very competitive.

There are many different companies and products out there and we did look at a few of them, like HP, Dell, PureStorage and IBM but in the end the best quality-price ratio made this product the winner.

What other advice do I have?

It would be very pretentious to give advice to anyone since the product is very simple and easy to use and we have it only for less than a year. I think the system has more features than we are using right now. Fortunately we have not the opportunity to check the quality of the service as till the moment we have not any problem.
Perfection is difficult to achieve, so on a scale from one to ten, my rating is nine. F