Huawei Wireless Review

Performance, throughput, and speed are good

What is our primary use case?

I have successfully designed and installed the Huawei Wireless product portfolio on a big university campus wireless network project.

How has it helped my organization?

The entire campus (students, administration, the project team, and purchase team) was very happy with this particular product.

Whatever our goal is, they are performing.

What is most valuable?

You can add a lot of features, such as cloud, integration with IoT, etc. They have a lot of options available but the top feature is the performance.

The throughput and speed of the wireless is good.

Huawai has been successfully introduced to the IPv6 access point.

What needs improvement?

Huawei has a bit of a gap in the SMB segment. Apart from the enterprise and big customers, you have also very big market in India for the small- and medium-class businesses (SMBs) and Huawei Wireless could adapt to these smaller businesses. SMB IT procurement is almost 40 to 45 percent of the business happening. I would recommend for Huawei to introduce some SMB product line because Cisco and Aruba, which are very big organizations, already have very good SMB product portfolios. Very recently, Aruba introduced one product portfolio called Aruba Instant On. That is completely designed for the SMB product portfolio and requirements. While there is not much in the feature set, it can meet the daily needs of a small home office, enterprise, or hospitality industry, then be position with very aggressive pricing. These Cisco and Aruba products also work with clustering and can be managed by apps. In addition, Aruba has a future roadmap they manage with some cloud-based authentication and best positioning. They will be introducing this features very soon.

I would like to see Network Access Control (NAC) features going forward.

I have been working on this product for around two years.

There was one time I had a problem with their centralized licensing. I called the Indian call center, but the response was not that good. One guy attended this call and he told me, "Definitely, I am forwarding your call to the next level. I'll let you know." After that, it took between 10 to 15 hours before I got a call back. By then, we had already resolved the issue. Therefore, they could improve the local support; there should be at very good Tier 1 and 2 support in India. They should be both proactive and reactive.

The initial setup was easy. They have a discovery protocol if your license is properly installed.

Initially, I did have one problem. The shipped access point was not updated. That is why we had to update every access point.

It was a big campus (seven acres), so a lot of manpower was required. It took almost one week to deploy. We had a team who did things like cable deploying. Two or three engineers were involved for the wireless configuration and product installation.

You can purchase an additional switch with an additional switch. That is a good milestone.

We don't have any control on the pricing. This comes from Huawei in India. Pricing-wise, Huawei is very aggressive and competitive if you compare them to competitors, like Cisco, Aruba, and Ruckus. The Indian Huawei team tells us, "Just pick up the order and design the infrastructure. If there are any pricing challenge, we'll work on that and we will try to match things 100 percent."

I have a lot of experience with Cisco and Aruba too. If you compare this product with Cisco and Aruba, the three products are almost the same performise-wise. However, the accessories for this product are better than Cisco or Aruba.

Cisco support is fabulous, even though you have to pay for it. However, our customers are willing to pay for it. Huawei needs to improve its local support in comparison, especially there is a need for expert initial support.

What other advice do I have?

The on-premise solution is a very good product. They are working on the latest technology.

I don't have much experience with their cloud based solution.

I would rate the solution as an eight (out of 10).

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Distributor.
More Huawei Wireless reviews from users