Hyper-V Review

What is our primary use case?

This is the primary hypervisor in my organization. It runs our most critical workloads and supports all our branch offices.

How has it helped my organization?

It comes with all the features and goodies inside the box, so you do not have to purchase anything else.

What is most valuable?

The Failover Clustering feature allows us to be able to make our most critical workload highly available. We did not have to pay extra money for it.

In Windows Servers 2016, there is Storage Spaces Direct. Although, it seems as if many of the local organizations where I live prefer to go for traditional SAN setups, I find Storage Spaces Direct to be very attractive, neat, and stable. We did not need to hire a separate storage expert to manage our storage as it was easy to manage and setup (many articles online). We did not have to invest a dollar more than what we paid for the server software.

What needs improvement?

I think Microsoft has answered most of the concerns of users with the release of Server 2016.

Now, they can hot add NICs to the VMs. However, there is still not the ability to hot add virtual processors to running VMs.

It has helped to keep the cost of IT spending low when compared to the cost of VMware.

Once we bought the datacenter version of the server, we did away with worrying about the cost of licensing our VMs separately.

1 Comment
Jason WheelerReal UserTOP 5

I was trying to find some article somewhere that stated Microsoft was going to begin supporting something other than password based authentication single-sign-on for server 2016. Many organizations have started using multi-factor authentication and that was the main reason my organization decided to stay with VMWare.

02 August 18